Details for MathConceptition 2021
The annual MathConceptition provides an opportunity for all kindergarteners, primary school and junior secondary school students to challenge their skills with other mathematically gifted children in Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Singapore and Canada and offers a chance for them to compete for championship!
Open to students attending kindergartens, primary schools and junior secondary schools. Participants are categorized into eleven different grades according to their birthyear OR current (2020/21) school year.
|K2||2016 or after||Lower / K2||✓|
|K3||2015 or after||Upper / K3||✓|
|P1||2014 or after||P1 / Grade 1 / Year 1||✓||✓|
|P2||2013 or after||P2 / Grade 2 / Year 2||✓||✓|
|P3||2012 or after||P3 / Grade 3 / Year 3||✓||✓|
|P4||2011 or after||P4 / Grade 4 / Year 4||✓||✓|
|P5||2010 or after||P5 / Grade 5 / Year 5||✓||✓|
|P6||2009 or after||P6 / Grade 6 / Year 6||✓||✓|
|S1||2008 or after||F1 / Grade 7 / Year 7||✓||✓|
|S2||2007 or after||F2 / Grade 8 / Year 8||✓||✓|
|S3||2006 or after||F3 / Grade 9 / Year 9||✓||✓|
The MathConceptition consists of:
- Individual Contest — Open to students from Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Singapore and Canada. There are 11 grades in total (2 kindergarten grades, 6 primary school grades and 3 secondary school grades). Parents and guardians may enroll their child to compete in the Individual Contest.
- Inter-School Contest — Open to primary schools and secondary schools in Hong Kong and Macau. Each school may nominate at most THREE STUDENTS FROM EACH GRADE. Students will work independently, the total score attained will be counted towards the Inter-School Contest. The individual scores of all nominated students will also be automatically submitted to compete in the Individual Contest.
Participants are required to work individually to complete every question in the written test. All questions will be given in both Chinese and English. Past papers for K2 – K3, P1 – P6 and mock papers for S1 – S3 can be found on our website.
K2 – K3
- Time allowed: 30 minutes, invigilator will read out the questions during the contest.
- Contain 20 multiple choice questions, each question is weighted differently.
- Participants must circle the most appropriate answer on the question booklet.
P1 – P6
- Time allowed: 50 minutes.
- Contain 40 short questions, each question is weighted differently. Questions are based on HKEDB Syllabus and Mathematical Olympiad type problems.
- Participants must write their answers on the answer sheet provided. Calculation steps are not required.
S1 – S3
- Time allowed: 60 minutes.
- Contain 20 questions, each question is weighted differently. Questions are based on HKEDB Syllabus and Mathematical Olympiad type problems.
- Participants must write their answers on the answer sheet provided. Calculation steps are not required.
Awards for Individual Contest
Participants are ranked according to their scores. If two or more participants attain the same score, the following criteria will be applied in the order given to determine their final rankings:
(i) The participant with the higher score of question answered correctly will receive the higher rank.
(ii) The participant with the later date of birth will receive the higher rank.
The winners of each grade will receive:
and 2nd runner-up
|Top 3 scorers in each grade||
Trophy Cup, Certificate
||Medal and Certificate|
|Silver||Next 15% scorers||Medal and Certificate|
|Bronze||Next 25% scorers||Medal and Certificate|
|Participation||All participants who attended the contest||Certificate of Participation|
Awards for Inter-School Contest
According to EDB’s school list, schools are categorized into two groups:
1. Primary School (P1 – P6)
2. Secondary School (S1 – S3)
Schools are ranked according to the total score attained by their nominated participants.
Group Awards of each grade:
||Total score attained by the three nominated participants of that grade||Trophy Cup and Certificate|
||Crystal Trophy and Certificate|
Overall School Awards:
|Total score attained by the eighteen nominated participants of P1 to P6||
|Total score attained by the nine nominated participants of S1 to S3||
14th March, 2021 (Sunday)
Time and Sessions
The contest consists of multiple sessions held between 9:00 am – 7:00 pm. Each participant will be allocated to one of the sessions depending on their grade.
Teacher in-charge of inter-school contest and participant of individual contest should print out their admit card to check their personal information, contest session time and seat number by logging into the participant portal between 22nd February 2021 and 28th February 2021. If the participant’s personal information in our record is inaccurate, please contact the organizer on or before 1st March 2021, or a service charge of $50 (per item) may apply for any amendment requested after the forementioned date.
Contest session allocation is determined by the organizer. No dispute shall be raised by the participant. If a participant fails to attend his/her allocated contest session, he/she will be withdrawn from the contest and his/her registration fee will not be refunded.
Hong Kong Region: 6/F, Kowloonbay International Trade & Exhibition Centre, 1 Trademart Drive, Kowloon Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
Macau Region: Santa Rosa de Lima English Secondary School (367 Av. Dr. Rodrigo Rodrigues, Macau)
Inter-School Contest: Waived
Individual Contest: $300 per participant, which can be paid by
- credit cards through paypal during online registration;
- logging into your paypal account during online registration;
- AlipayHK during online registration;
- entering a prepaid voucher code which can be purchased from MathConcept Learning Centers (accept cash only) or
- cash along with a written Individual Contest Registration Form and hand it to “Unit 812, 8/F, Tower 1, Cheung Sha Wan Plaza, 833 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon”.
Inter-School Contest: 15th December 2020 – 31st January 2021
Individual Contest: 1st January 2021 – 31st January 2021
Inter-School Contest：Teachers may fill in the online registration form by logging into the inter-school contest registration system. Login details can be found on the invitation letter sent to your school.
Individual Contest：Parents or guardians may fill in the online registration form and complete the payment procedures; OR Download and complete the individual contest registration form and hand it to “Unit 812, 8/F, Tower 1, Cheung Sha Wan Plaza, 833 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon” along with $300 registration fee.
(Participants of the Inter-School Contest should NOT submit a separate registration entry for Individual Contest. Individual score of these nominated participants will be automatically submitted to compete in the Individual Contest.)
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis. The registration fee is not refundable or transferable. Teacher in-charge of inter-school contest and participant of individual contest should print out their admit card and check their contest sessions and seat number by logging into the participant portal between
Winner list will be announced on 26th April 2021 on our website. Teacher in-charge of inter-school contest and participant of individual contest may
The Award Ceremony will take place in May 2021. Winners of the following awards will be invited to attend to our Award Ceremony:
- Inter-school Contest - Overall Champion, 1st Runner-up and 2nd Runner-up
- Inter-school Contest - Group Champion, 1st Runner-up and 2nd Runner-up of each grade
- Individual Contest - Champion, 1st Runner-up and 2nd Runner-up of each grade
- Individual Contest - Gold Award (the 4th to 10th ranking participants) of each grade
Award winners will receive a letter containing details about the ceremony.
In any case, anyone failing to meet the terms and rules stated below shall be disqualified. His/her result attained will be cancelled. Registration fee will not be refunded.
- Participant should choose his/her contest grade according to his/her birthyear OR current school year (2020/21).
- Participant should submit only one registration entry for the contest. In case of multiple submissions, all entries submitted by the participant will not be entertained.
- Participant is responsible to confirm the information provided in the registration form is true and correct and is completed in full.
- On the day of contest, all participants are required to arrive on time with stationery, self-printed admit card and schooling proofs with photo identification (e.g. valid student handbook or student card).
- Except for emergencies, participants may not leave the contest venue early.
- All electronic devices should be switched off in the contest venue. Calculators are not allowed.
- Participants are NOT allowed to take away the answer sheet, question booklet or any roughwork sheets.
- Any person who would like to lodge an enquiry or dispute against the contest questions or procedures taken during the contest, he/she should report to an invigilator within 15 minutes after the end of the contest.
- In case of any disputes, the Organizer's decision is final.
Terms and condition
- MathConcept Education reserves the right to use photos or videos taken during the competition and ceremony for promotional activities.
- If a prize runs out of stock or not available due to other circumstances, the Organizer reserves the right to substitute that prize with another item without prior notice.
- When Typhoon Warning Signal Pre-No 8 or above/ Black Rainstorm Warning is issued or still in force after (HK:8:30am, MO:6:30am), the competition concerned will be postponed, details will be announced through our website.
- MathConcept Education reserves the right to suspend, modify or terminate this event and event organizing party or any of these terms and conditions without prior notice.
- By submitting an entry in the contest, the participants agree to be bound by the above general rules and terms and conditions. The Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any participant or cancel any award if it believes a breach of these terms and conditions has occurred. No appeals shall be accepted.
In case of any discrepancy between the English version and the Chinese version, the Chinese version shall prevail.
Personal Information Collection Statement
- This is a statement to inform you of your rights under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
- The personal data collected above may be used by MathConcept Education for the following purposes: a. processing your registration or order for services of MathConceptition; b. verifying your identity for access to private contents of MathConceptition's website or event of MathConceptition or for participating in activities of MathConceptition; c. research and customer survey; d. billing and debt collection; e. dealing with your suggestion, enquiry and complaint; f. communicating with you generally; g. subject to the provisions of the Ordinance to direct market MathConcept Education's products and services to you. #
- MathConcept Education will indicate on the forms collecting the personal data from you which of the data requested on such form is mandatory. If you do not supply the mandatory data, MathConcept Education may not be able to supply the products, services or information in relation to which the data is collected.
- Your personal data held by MathConcept Education will be kept confidential but MathConcept Education may transfer your personal data to a data processor (e.g. printer, production house or providers of mailing services) engaged by MathConcept Education to process or handle personal data on its behalf, subject to a duty of confidentiality.
You have a right to request access to, and to request correction of their personal data held by MathConcept Education. If you wish to exercise your rights, please contact MathConcept Education's Data Protection Officer by post to “Unit 812, 8/F, Tower 1, Cheung Sha Wan Plaza, 833 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong”.